Amy Bruce Grade 6, Reading
Amy Bruce, Grade 6, Reading
Sixth Grade Reading
Home Phone: 479-641-7590
School Phone: 479-890-6631
Reading is Succeeding!
During the first nine weeks, the students will be working on genres (realistic fiction, historical fiction, science fiction, fantasy, biography, poetry, etc.). After studying genres, we will begin reading Touching Spirit Bear in class. Any sheets (vocabulary or comprehension questions) will also be done in class. If a student is absent, I have a few extra books to send home in order for that student to catch up on his/her reading. Several skills and stratagies will be taught using this book.
You may contact me by phone, e-mail, or visit me at school during my prep hour (10:40 - 11:26 a.m.).
Procedures for _________ 6th Grade Reading Class
1. When you come into class on Monday – Thursday, the first thing you should do is get your clicker. Then you should sharpen a pencil, write in your planner, have out any needed materials (pencil, pen, AR book, homework), and get ready to work on the starter. We will read it orally and answer the multiple choice questions with the clickers. Do NOT write on the starter sheets: Do not circle the answers nor write your name on the paper. The starter sheets will be shared by all of my classes.
2. You will receive points each week for your starter.
3. Friday will be vocabulary day. You will use designated words taken from the starters that week for this assignment. You will define the word as used in the starter’s context, write it in a sentence, and find its synonym or antonym if it has one. Then you will draw a picture of the word.
1. You need to go to the bathroom at 7:55 - 8:00 and between classes.
2. Go quickly.
3. If you want a drink, go to the water fountain at the same time.
4. Always wash and dry your hands!
5. If you are in the classroom, always ask permission first. Only one boy and one girl are allowed to leave the room at a time. There is one boy’s and one girl’s bathroom pass available.
Procedures for Checking Out a Book from Mrs. Fryer’s Class Library
1. Choose the book that you want to read.
2. In the library check-in/check-out binder, find your page behind the appropriate colored divider. The pages are in alphabetical order by students' last name behind each period. Do not write on anyone’s page but yours.
3. Write the book title, book number (not the quiz number), and the date that you check it out.
4. To check the book back in, go to your page and write the date. Then place the book in the orange basket on the counter.
Rules for the Reading Center
1. You can sit in the reading center to read only on your scheduled day. Every student will have a scheduled day. Only one student per pillow! Absolutely NO TALKING In the Reading Center.
2. If you are absent on your scheduled day, you will need to wait until next week before going back to the reading center. No makeup dates are given.
1. Mrs. Wilson is in charge of A.R., but I give the grades in reading.
2. You may take an A.R. test in Mrs. Wilson’s and my room. Check with the other teachers to see if you can take A.R. tests in their room.
3. After taking the A.R. test, you must take the vocabulary test if it is offered. In sixth grade the vocabulary test will be counted as part of your reading grade.
4. There are three A.R. grades, each worth 100 points every nine weeks. They are the A.R. % grade, A.R. points grade and the vocabulary grade.
All work assigned one day is due the next (unless it is a project in which I will give the due date). If you do not have your work the day it is due, it will only be worth 50% of the original grade the next day. The third day that you do not have it, the grade will be a zero. When you are asked by Mr. Townsend to redo the missed work, you will get one point for redoing it for him. All sixth grade teachers are following this procedure.
1. If you are absent, it is YOUR responsibility to get your make-up work from the plastic pocket on the wall in the appropriately colored folder. If you do not get work turned in three school days after your last day of absence, the grade will be: Next day 50% of the grade. After that it will be a zero. I WILL NOT CHASE YOU DOWN TO GET YOUR MISSED WORK!
Rules and Procedures for Cooperative Learning Groups
1. Groups must whisper – only one person at a time talks.
2. Everyone has a job to do and everyone participates.
3. Be respectful and listen to everyone’s ideas. Give your teammates support and praise.
4. All members stay together (you are your brother’s keeper) and ask the teacher only if there is no member of the group that has the answer or knows what to do.
|7:55||First Bell||First Bell||First Bell||First Bell||
|1st 8:00-8:45||Guided Reading||Guided Reading||Guided Reading||Guided Reading||
|2nd 8:50-9:44||Hm. Rm. Reading||Hm. Rm. Reading||Hm. Rm. Reading||Hm. Rm. Reading||
Hm. Rm. Reading
|4th 10:40-11:30||Activity / Prep||Activity / Prep||Activity / Prep||Activity / Prep||
Activity / Prep
|12:36-12:56||Gross Motor||Gross Motor||Gross Motor||Gross Motor||
|6th 1:00- 1:47||Reading||Reading||Reading||Reading||
7th 1:51- 2:38
8th 2:42- 3:30